We've only just begun
What a day!
Everyone is saying this was the best day ever — better than they ever imagined — and we've only just begun. It was an amazing day and God did speak to us in some big ways. Here is a list of what we did today (though a list doesn't really do it justice):
- We started at the place Joshua crossed the Jordan with the Israelites. AS we started our tour with "Josh" it seemed appropriate to start here. We talked about God's provision and faithfulness to lead the people into the promised land. We then looked at the passage about Jesus' baptism in the same place! It was amazing to see the way the Old and New Testament tied together.
- We went to Masada, where some hiked up the snake path and others took the tram. This amazing site gave us a glimpse into the life of King Herod. It also gave us a look into the Zealot's lives, Jews who chose to revolt against Rome. The hike was crazy but so good! We went from 1500 feet below Sea Level to being right above Sea Level. Then we hiked down the "Siege" ramp used in 70 AD.
The summit of Masada sits 190 feet (59 m) above sea level and about 1,500 feet (470 m) above the level of the Dead Sea. The mountain itself is 1950 feet (610 m) long, 650 feet (200 m) wide, 4,250 feet (1330 m) in circumference, and encompasses 23 acres. The “Snake Path” climbs 900 feet (280 m) in elevation. From the west, the difference in height is 225 feet (70 m).
- Josh then told us we were having bus problems and we needed to stop and get a new ride... CAMELS! (he was joking about the bus) He surprised us with camel rides in the dessert which brought the Old Testament to life.
- Josh then taught us about the faithfulness of God in the desert as we sat in a bedoin tent and drank some afternoon coffee.
- We ended the day at the lowest place on Earth — the dead sea. We went for a swim, or should we say, "a float". It was an amazing experience.
God is doing great things here. We are looking at so many passages and tying together the Old Testament and the New Testament. Thank you for your prayers.
Featured Upcoming Trip